This week the CSA will contain the following from Frog Song Organics:
- Satsuma citrus
- Romaine Lettuce
- Mustard Greens
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Sugar Cane
And from our partners at Little Pond Farm:
This week you will find satsuma, a small, sweet, seedless form of tangerines, originating in Japan. These are easy peel and delicious to enjoy as or snack and excellent to toss in a salad. Enjoy!
Satsuma Mandarin Winter Salad- adapted from Cooking On The Weekends
- zest of about ½ of a lime
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions white ends (roots discarded)
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil, washed and dried
- 1 pound Satsumas (about 6 satsumas)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Make the dressing. In a small mixing bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice, honey, basil, shallots and salt. Then add the oil and whisk.
- Prepare the fruit. Peel the Satsumas, and then slice them horizontally, into slices that are about ¼ inch thick.
- Assemble. Either mix the Satsuma slices into the dressing, or arrange them on a plate or platter and drizzle the dressing over them. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
Check back for more fun recipes shortly!