Welcome to the first week of our Winter 2023 CSA!
We’re still experiencing the effects of the deep-freeze that happened starting Dec. 23rd, and we are now seeing the damage appear on many of our citrus trees. Despite some of the lingering and long-term impacts of a freeze event that may not appear for up to two years on trees, we are grateful that many of our crops made it through like the lettuce, kohlrabi and arugula included in your share.
This week week our share contains TEN certified organic items. We have harvested from our farm:
Citrus – Oranges / Mandarins
Purple kohlrabi (eat the greens!)
Bonita white sweet potato
Root medley – Watermelon radish, purple daikon & baby Tokyo turnip – great for roasting & salads
Fresh Sugarcane –instructions on how to cut
Galangal root – grate and steep in tea like ginger
Cilantro – Worden Farm
Slicer tomato – Worden Farm
Everything to know about Kohlrabi – food network
It’s a cruciferous vegetable like radishes and broccoli, and tastes like an extra crunchy and slightly peppery broccoli stem – great for shredding into slaws, dicing into soups, or roasting and topping with some parmesan cheese. Don’t forget to peel it, remove the stems, and eat those greens like you would collard greens or kale.
Watermelon Radish Salad with Orange and Goat Cheese – Rhubarbarians.com
This radish salad is bright, crunchy, and full of flavor. The perfect healthy vegetarian side dish or entree salad. 4 servings
- 2 medium navel oranges
- 3 medium watermelon radishes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- salt and pepper
- 6 Tbsp crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup roasted pistachios
- 4 Tbsp chopped green onion
- Start by segmenting your oranges over a small bowl. Place segmented pieces aside and reserve 2 Tbsp of the orange juice.
- Toss the radish slices with the orange juice, vinegar, and honey. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- When radish slices have softened and mellowed to your liking, mix with the orange segments. Top with the goat cheese, pistachios, and green onion. Enjoy!