This week your share will include the following from Frog Song:
- Red Radishes
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Mustard Greens
- Bonita Sweet Potatoes
From our partner farms
- Green Leaf Lettuce-Organic Aqua Fresh
- Green Kale-Worden Farms (Thursday, Friday, Saturday.)
- Curly Kale (Wednesday) from New Sprout Organic Farm
When using grapefruit in various dishes, the easiest way to work with them is to segment first. To segment a grapefruit, use the following steps-
- Start by identifying your “top” and “bottom” of the grapefruit, the top being where the stem connected to the tree. Slice off the top and bottom, perseriving as much flesh as possible.
- Take your knife and start to cut away the peel. Cut North to South and try to follow the curve of the grapefruit. You want to catch as little of the flesh as possible when removing the peel. If you have any visible white pith or peel remaining, cut them off.
- Once you have removed the peel and any remaining pith, you will want to start cutting the sections of your grapefruit or “supreme” your grapefruit. “Supreme” is the official culinary term for sectioning a grapefruit (or other citrus fruits).
- Take your knife and slice on each side of the fruit segment, leaving the tough membrane in between each segment. Remove the segment and repeat until all the segments are removed from the grapefruit membrane. Use your grapefruit segments as desired.
Lettuce Wraps with Grapefruit Salsa
This is a great way to utilize your CSA and use up any leftover protien
- 1 grapefruit, segmented, cut into pieces
- 1-2 jalapenos (to desired heat level), de-seeded and minced
- 1/2 small red onion or 1 shallot, minced
- 2-3 radishes, cut into small matchsticks
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Optional-a few pieces of cut papaya, cut into small chunks
- 1-2 tsp honey
- Salt to taste.
- 3-4 stalks of green lettuce
- Protein of choice, such as grilled chicken or shrimp.
- Segment grapefruit, squeezing any remaining juice from the peel into a bowl. Cut grapefruit into bite size chunks and place in a bowl.
- Add remaining except for honey, and combine well.
- Stir in desired amount of honey-this will thicken the mixture a little.
- Lay out pieces of lettuce, spoon in your protein, and top with grapefruit salsa.
Mustard Greens and Chicken with Radish- adapted from Ketogasm
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp of mustard of choice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound chicken breast raw, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups mustard greens, stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup radishes sliced
- In a small mixing bowl, combine olive oil, mustard, garlic powder, and salt. Coat chicken breast in the mixture and marinate for an hour, or up to overnight.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add marinated chicken breast.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until chicken becomes opaque, then add in the radishes and mustard greens. Stirring frequently, cook for an additional 5 minutes to allow the greens to cook down. Remove from heat and serve with salt to taste.
Roasted Bonita Sweet Potatoes with Honey and Turmeric
- 2 white sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cubed
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or sage
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Approx 1/2 inch piece of turmeric, peeled and grated
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- In a large bowl add cubed sweet potatoes and add in honey, olive oil, fresh thyme leaves, cinnamon, pepper. Grate turmeric over the top.
- Stir to combine.
- Place on baking sheet and roast for 25-30 min. Give a stir every 10 minutes as to not burn.
- Salt to taste, and enjoy.