This recipe is a great example of food as medicine, believed by Chinese medicine to improve thinning hair, improving digestion, and supporting the nervous system.
Medicine aside, this soup is an excellent source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals!
1/2 cup red lentils
1 teaspoon ghee
1 shallot, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 red potato, washed and diced
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 small tomato, diced
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
Salt and pepper taste
1 teaspoon shredded coconut
- Wash lentils in cold running water with a strainer. Transfer to a medium-large bowl of water and let soak for 3 hours. Drain
- In a large pot, heat the shallot, carrot, and celery for 10-15 minutes with ghee.
- Add lentils, potato, and tomato and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Scoop contents of pot into a blender and blend until desired consistency.
- Pour mixture back into pot with vegetable stock, seasonings, and turmeric. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish