This week in your CSA share you will find the following:
- Red Beets- Clem’s Organic Garden
- Cilantro-Clem’s Organic Garden
- Bicolor Sweet Corn – Watsonia Organics
- Fairytale Eggplant – Frog Song Organics
- Curly Kale-New Sprouts Organic Farm
- Okra – Frog Song Organics
- Yellow Peaches – Watsonia Organics
- Sweet Potato Greens – Frog Song Organics
- Cherry Tomatoes – Frog Song Organics
Mashama Bailey is a regional, James Beard Award-winning Chef and owner of The Grey in Savannah, GA. She is wonderful in her seasonal cooking, focusing on local produce and family recipes, and utilizing what is in abundance. Her succotash from Masterclass is an amazing example of that, and is great as a side dish but can easily be featured as a entrée over rice. Substitute oil for butter and you have a great Vegan meal. Some adaptations for CSA products are included.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons seeded and diced Frog Song Jalapenos
- 2 cups sliced okra, cut horizontally in circles
- 1 cup Frog Song cherry tomatoes-halved
- 3 cups cooked lima beans
- 3 cups corn, fresh off the cob
- Water as needed
- Black pepper to taste
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery, and stir to coat the vegetables in the fat. Add a few pinches of salt to help concentrate and enhance the flavors of the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, stir, and allow the garlic to bloom. Add the chiles, then stir to combine. Reduce the heat and add the okra. Add another pinch of salt. Continue cooking, gently stirring the mixture, for another 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, stir in the tomatoes, lima beans, and corn. Continue to cook the mixture, uncovered, until all the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add a little water to moisten the vegetables and help emulsify the butter. Stir and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Maintain a low temperature, cover, and cook for another 30 to 35 minutes. The cooking liquid will have thickened, and the vegetables will be tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl for serving. Add the fresh parsley and more black pepper. Serve immediately.
Frog Song bacon or pan sausage would be an excellent addition to make this a main dish, as well. As always, pork can be ordered here.
Sweet Potato Greens in Coconut Cream Love and Olive oil
- 1 large bunch sweet potato greens
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root (from a 1/2-inch piece)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh turmeric root, or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 red thai chili, finely sliced
- 2-inch lemon grass stalk, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 cup coconut cream plus 1 cup water (or substitute 2 cups light or regular coconut milk)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons raw or brown sugar, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Trim off any thick stems from greens. Add to boiling water and blanch for 60 seconds, then immediately transfer greens to a bowl filled with ice water to stop the cooking. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric, chili, and lemongrass and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce.
- Add coconut cream and water (or coconut milk) and bring to a simmer. Add blanched greens and return to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Add sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls and serve with rice.
Ruby Slipper Smoothie- The Curvy Carrot
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup sliced and cooked beets (I used a mixture of golden and red)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 cup ice cubes
In a blender, combine all ingredients until smooth. Serve immediately.