Try this easy, vegan cake next time you want to use up a few strawberries and bit of strawberry jam. Makes up to 24 servings.
- 3 ½ cups organic all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 cups fresh strawberries sliced – reserve 1/2 cup for garnish
- 2 cups plant-based milk (we used oat milk), you could also try coconut milk
- 6 TBSP lemon juice
- ½ cup melted coconut oil, or sunflower oil
- 2 tsp coconut extract / coconut flavor
- the reserved sliced strawberries
- strawberry jam, about 4 oz
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Measure out and place all dry ingredients (except strawberries) in a large mixing bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Stir sliced strawberries into the dry ingredients to coat well.
- Stir 6 TBSP of lemon juice into oat milk in a medium sized mixing bowl and let sit.
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan and pour into milk mixture, add coconut extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine just until all dry ingredients are moistened and pour batter into a parchment lined, or greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake the loaf for approximately 45 minutes, the middle should be solid, test with a toothpick for when it comes out clean.
- Once it cools, decide how many pieces you want to cut it into. To garnish each piece, apply a dab of strawberry jam, approximately 1/2 teaspoon and spread it out gently. Then place a fresh strawberry slice on top of the jam.
- If you don’t have jam handy, you can make a quick batch just for the cake by blending up fresh strawberries, adding a bit of sugar and bringing to a simmer on the stovetop. Let cool in the refrigerator and then apply to the cake. You could also serve with coco-whip, yogurt, or whipped cream.
Adapted from https://plantedandpicked.com/lemon-strawberry-loaf/