In your final shares of the Summer CSA, we are harvesting the following produce from our farm:
- Fuyu Persimmons
- Fresh Turmeric Root
We are also adding variety to your shares with these items from our partner producers:
- Beets – COG
- Spaghetti Squash – NSOF
- Red and Green Bell Peppers – NSOF
- Fennel – NSOF
- Chestnuts – HSO
- Aquaponic Green Leaf or Green Butter Lettuce – OAF
Pickled Jalapenos – Love and Lemons
- 10 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Slice your jalapeños and stuff two mason jars full of pepper slices. Then, add a smashed garlic clove to each mason jar.
- Next, make the brine by simmering vinegar, water, sugar, and salt over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the brine over the jarred peppers, let them cool to room temperature, and store them in the fridge for up to two weeks!
That’s it! If you’re feeling fancy, you could add a pinch of cumin seeds, peppercorns, mustard seeds, or a bay leaf to your brine, but I like this quick pickled jalapeño recipe best just how it is.
Fuyu Persimmon and Fennel Salad with Hazelnuts – Fine Cooking
- 6 Tbs. fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. minced shallot
- 2 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium ripe Fuyu persimmons, peeled, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 medium bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored, and very thinly sliced or shaved with a mandoline or vegetable peeler
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely torn if large
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted, peeled hazelnuts, chopped (Substitute Chestnuts!)
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano\
- Put the orange juice, vinegar, shallot, zest, and 1/4 tsp. salt in a small bowl and let sit for 15 to 30 minutes to soften the shallot and meld the flavors. Gradually whisk in the oil.
- In a large bowl, toss the persimmons, fennel, and parsley with enough of the vinaigrette to coat (you may not need all of it). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among 6 salad plates and sprinkle with the hazelnuts and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
**To roast chestnuts: Place flat side down on a cutting board. Use a small paring knife to score an X through the skin on the rounded side of each chestnut. Roast at 350 degrees F for 30 mins. Peel as soon as they’re cool enough to handle