This week our members will enjoy the following produce from our farm:
- Tri-color Beans
- Bok Choy
- Dandelion Greens
- Baby Lettuce, bag
- Murasaki Sweet Potatoes (in the box, not in the picture!)
And these items from our partner growers’ certified organic farms:
- Orange Carrots, bunch – LPF
- Cucumbers – WF
- Cherry Tomatoes – LPF
- Mint, bunch – WF
Dandelion Tart – NY Times Cooking
- 1 generous bunch dandelion greens, about 12 ounces
- Salt to taste
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1small onion, chopped
- 6mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup sliced mushrooms)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves (to taste), green shoots removed, minced
- 4 large or extra large eggs
- ¾cup low-fat milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¾cup Gruyère cheese, grated (3 ounces)
- 1 yeasted olive oil crust
- Cut the tough stems from the dandelion greens, about 1 inch from the bottom, and wash in two changes of water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and fill a bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the dandelion greens. Blanch for four minutes and transfer to the ice water. Drain, squeeze out excess water and chop.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about five minutes, and add a pinch of salt and the mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for four to five minutes, until the mushrooms have softened and the onions are golden. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, then stir in the dandelion greens. Stir together for a minute, and remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Brush the bottom of the pastry shell, and place in the preheated oven for five minutes. Remove from the oven. Whisk the milk into the eggs, add ½ teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper to taste and stir in the cooked vegetables and cheese. Turn into the crust. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until set and the top is lightly browned. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving. Serve hot or warm.
Variation: Omit the crust and make this as a gratin. If you wish, you can make the gratin using only three eggs and ½ cup milk.
Roasted Carrots With Mint Lemon Dressing – White on Rice Couple
FOR THE ROASTED CARROTS
- 1 pound carrots , washed and ends trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt , to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
FOR THE MINT LEMON DRESSING:
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Zest 1 medium lemon
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt , or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Toss the carrots with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer carrots to a roasting pan or sheet pan and roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- While the carrots roast, whisk together all the mint lemon dressing ingredients (olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, mustard, salt, and mint).
- When carrots are roasted tender, transfer them to a serving platter or bowl and toss with the mint lemon dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Leave a Reply