This week, we will provide our members with the following produce from our farm:
- Citrus! Grapefruits, Oranges and Mandarin
- Green Beans
- Sweet Potato Yams
- Purple Daikon Radish, bunch (for Wednesday/Friday/Saturday members)
- French Breakfast Radish (for Thursday members)
- Fresh Turmeric Root
In addition we will add the following products from our Partner Producer, Worden Farm:
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Green Kale
We encourage you to check out Cooking with Cara! She is a friend of the farm who has an online yoga platform, and is also an inspirational cook! Join Cara from your own kitchen to make a fun and beautiful sweet potato recipe to enjoy this holiday season! CSA members who use coupon code “frogsong” will enjoy 50% off the class!
Winter Citrus Salad w Honey Dressing – NYTimes
- 2 blood oranges or tangerines
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 navel orange
- ½ small red onion or 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Lime or lemon juice to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly chopped tarragon or a pinch dried
- Peel citrus, removing as much pith as possible, and slice into wheels. Remove any pits, layer fruit on a serving dish, sprinkle with salt and garnish with chopped onion.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey, lime juice and tarragon until well combined; taste, adjust seasoning as needed and drizzle over salad.
Roasted Radishes – Life’s Little Sweets
- 1 1/2 pounds (1 bunch) Purple Daikon Radishes, clean, tops and tails cut, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons regular olive oil (organic, if possible)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, or amount to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or amount to taste, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Prepare the Purple Daikon Radishes and add them to a medium-large mixing bowl.
- Add the olive oil, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and cumin to the prepared radishes. Stir to combine.
- Lay the seasoned radish pieces on the prepared baking sheet; arrange them so that they are not touching.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden or desired crispness is reached. Serve and enjoy!
You can also use regular red radishes, French radishes, watermelon radishes or another variety available.
From Scratch Grapefruit Vinaigrette – Earth, Food and Fire
- 1 cup Olive oil or any other oil of your choosing
- 2 Grapefruit – segmented and the juice saved (Only use the Juice if mixing the dressing by hand)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ clove fresh garlic – minced
- 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel and segment the 2 fresh grapefruits. If mixing by hand, juice the fruit and set aside.
- Mince the garlic and fresh rosemary and add to the grapefruit.
- Mix the salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar and brown sugar in with the fruit, garlic and herb.
- Use a blender and blitz until smooth. Alternatively whisk all the ingredients vigorously in a bowl.
- Add in the oil and blitz (or whisk) again until the grapefruit dressing becomes thick and creamy.
- Re-season the vinaigrette with salt and a little sugar if it is very tart.
- Store the grapefruit vinaigrette in a glass container such as a mason jar. The dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.