This week, our members will enjoy the following produce from our farm in their shares:
- Green Beans
- Baby Squash Mix
- Jalapeno Peppers
- French Breakfast Radish (for Wednesday & Saturday Members)
- Purple Daikon Radish (for Thursday Members)
- Bonita Sweet Potatoes
- Green Tomatoes
- Shishito Peppers (for Thursday Members)
We’re also including, from Worden Farm:
- Cucumbers (for Wednesday & Saturday Members)
Kale, Orange and Jalapeno Salad – Lady Moon Farms
- 1 bunch Kale leaves, torn off the stalks
- 3/4 Cup Grape tomatoes
- 1 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and sliced thin
- 2-3 Oranges ;1/4 cup for juicing, 1peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 Ounces Goat cheese
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- To taste Salt & pepper
- 1 Tbs Sour Cream, heaping
- Wash and dry the kale.
- Remove the stems and chop into salad sized bites.
- Juice the oranges, you need 1/4 cup.
- Peel and cut 1 orange into chunks.
- Removing the seeds as best you can thinly cut the jalapeo. We always suggest using gloves for this process.\
- Mix kale, jalapeno, tomatoes, and orange together.
- Break the goat cheese into chunks with a fork and toss it into the salad.
- To make the dressing, combine the orange juice, olive oil, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a small mason jar.
- Shake vigorously until combined, add the sour cream and shake again.
- Toss the salad with dressing and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Radish Greens Pesto – From a Chef’s Kitchen
- 4 cups radish tops (packed), washed and dried
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ cup sliced or slivered almonds, coarsely chopped macadamia nuts or pistachios
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more as needed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add additional olive oil to achieve a thick sauce consistency. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Orange Jalapeno Margaritas – Sue Bee Homemaker
- 6 oz. silver tequila
- 3 oz. orange cointreau
- 2 oz. lime juice – freshly squeezed
- 3 oz. orange juice – freshly squeezed
- simple syrup – to taste (optional)
- jalapeno slices
- salt and orange/lime wedges – to serve
- Prepare in advance. 1) Squeeze limes and oranges, and store fresh juice in the refrigerator. 2) Slice orange and lime slices for serving. 3) Make simple syrup.
- At party time, prepare margarita glasses. Pour kosher salt on a plate. Take a lime wedge and run it around the rims of your glasses. Dip glasses in salt, and fill glasses with ice. Garnish with orange and lime slices, and a jalapeno slice.
- Take a couple of fresh jalapeno slices and place in the bottom of the cocktail shaker. Use a muddler, and muddle the slices for about 5-6 seconds.
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice. Add the tequila, orange liqueur, fresh lime and orange juice, and simple syrup (if desired). Shake vigorously.
- Pour immediately into two prepared margarita glasses. Repeat for additional cocktails.
How to make simple syrup:
- Place an equal amount of water and sugar in a small saucepan. (I usually do a cup of each.)
- Bring to a simmer, and cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a mason jar, or another container.
- After it cools, store in the refrigerator for cocktails of your choice.
- You will only need a couple of ounces per drink, but it’s nice to keep some in the refrigerator for emergency cocktails!