In your final share of the Winter 2021 Season, we plan to include the following items in your box, all from our farm!
- Bok Choy, baby, bunch
- Rainbow Carrots, bunch
- Cilantro, loose, clamshell
- Fennel Bulb
- Romaine Lettuce
- White Daikon Radish, bunch
- Fingerling Yams
- Strawberries!!! These are special for our CSA members, not yet available in our online store.
Creamy Carrot and Fennel Soup – from Comfort Food Infusion
- 8 large carrots cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, cubed (reserve fronds)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion cubed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth or more for a thinner soup
- 1/2 cup vegan milk substitute or half and half for non-vegan
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Line a baking sheet with tinfoil (for easy cleanup).
- To prepare fennel bulb, cut off and remove the fibrous, green stalks. Chop fennel similar to how you would chop an onion. When chopping the carrots, onion and fennel, make sure they are uniform in size so that they roast evenly. Chop a handful of cilantro (or select a few whole leaves), reserve for garnish. Pull some fennel fronds off the stems, reserve for garnish.
- Place chopped carrot, onion and fennel on lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over all and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and coriander (1/8 – 1/4 tsp.). Using your hands, mix well to coat. Roast on middle rack of oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until brown around the edges of the vegetables. Stir once or twice during roasting, to evenly brown.
- In a large pot, place roasted vegetables, broth, ‘milk’, a few more dashes of salt and pepper (to taste), and a dash or so (1/8-1/4 tsp.) of coriander. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Using a submersible blender (or carefully pour soup into a traditional blender), blend soup until you reach a desired consistency. I make mine fairly smooth but with some small bits for a little texture. You can add broth to thin, if desired.
- Serve immediately with cilantro and fennel fronds as garnish
Great way to use fennel fronds: Pumpkin Seed Fennel Pesto – from PaleoInPdx
- 1 cup fennel stalks/fronds, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, preferably sprouted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 – 1 tsp sea salt
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend to desired consistency, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed. Taste and adjust flavor as desired