Welcome to the first week of the 2021 Spring CSA Season! Members will enjoy the following items from our farm and partner producers in their shares:
- Beans, Green – Big Daddy’s Organic Farm
- Bok Choy, baby, bunch – wash and roast whole, or cut off the end and sauté leaves
- Carrots, baby, loose (no tops)
- Dill, bunch
- Red Romaine Lettuce
- Sweet Onions, bunch – use the tops as well, like you would scallions!
- Bonita Sweet Potato Yams – Sweet and creamy, white-fleshed sweet potatoes.
- Fresh Turmeric Root
Lately, I’ve been trying to incorporate fresh turmeric in every dinner meal. Last night, I blanched some green beans for one minute, to keep their crunch, and tossed in a marinade of finely chopped – or grated if that’s easier – 1 inch piece of turmeric root and 1 garlic clove, a splash of good balsamic and olive oil, salt and fresh ground black pepper. The turmeric gave a lovely earthy kick, and balanced nicely with the sweet balsamic. Thinly sliced sweet onion would be a great substitute for the garlic. Thanks for being a part of Frog Song. We’re looking forward to a bountiful Spring Season and hope to see you at the farm for Strawberry U-Pick events! Have a wonderful week, everyone! – Amy Jane
Miso Glazed Roasted Kohlrabi – from Mealz.com
- 1 Kohlrabi
- 1 tbsp of organic miso
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp organic tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Trim leafy greens of kohlrabi and reserve for later. Peel outer skin of kohlrabi.
- Discard tough skin and chop kohlrabi into one inch pieces.
- Mix glaze ingredients together in a bowl, add kohlrabi, and coat mixture with your hands.
- Spread evenly over a baking tray and roast in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, checking and turning after 20 minutes.
- During the last ten minutes of the kohlrabi’s cooking, quickly steamfry the kohlrabi leaves in a saucepan using oil of your choice, adding a touch of water to aid in the process.
- Remove kohlrabi from the oven, and transfer to a bowl and combine with the greens.
Turmeric Honey Glazed Carrots – from LakesideTable
- 8 medium carrots peeled and cut into wide match sticks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (1 inch piece grated, if using fresh turmeric)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 inch ginger peeled and grated
- 1/2 lemon zested and squeezed
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Melt butter over low to medium heat in a skillet.
- Put carrots into skillet and coat with butter and add salt.
- Gently saute for 2 minutes and add the turmeric, black pepper, honey, and ginger.
- Increase heat to medium high for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, top with lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sweet Onion Salad Dressing – from Spruce Eats
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, grated, or other sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt, mustard, and celery seed
- Add grated sweet onion, oil, and vinegar. Heat until sugar is melted.
- Cool and refrigerate, or serve as a warm dressing.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.